The African Violet Collection

The African Violet Collection
The Queen of House Plants

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Featured plant: yarrow, pink

Yarrow, pink ( Achillea millefolium)  Perennial. This is a pretty medicinal herb that will flower in it's second year. Ferny foliage is attractive with or without flowers. The flowers are carried in a flat umbel and it flowers around early to mid-summer. It is perennial in Zones 3-7. This herb is superb for stopping bleeding. It was carried by the medics in Achilles army to staunch the bleeding from battle wounds. I can vouch for it's efficacy. Whenever I cut myself in the garden, I go to the yarrow, pull off a couple of leaves, pop 'em in my mouth to chew them to a macerated mass and put the lot on my cut. Within seconds the bleeding stops. I've even had it work for wounds that most likely required stitches. I wouldn't recommend not getting medical attention for wounds or to use this in place of cleaning a wound out and bandaging, but it sure does work to stop bleeding and when one is away from proper soap and water or antiseptic, I found it a good quick remedy. This plant likes full sun, will do ok in poor soils but does best in good soil with adequate water. It can tolerate a bit of drought if it is established. It will grow to 3' if happy, 2' if stressed.  Will spread by root and seed, but slowly.

 Buy these plants here!

No comments:

Post a Comment